Thursday, June 2, 2011

Yes - Gluten Free Whoopie Pies

I grew up in Maine, and whoopie pies were a common snack. I loved baking whoopie pies! And I haven't had a whoopie pie since being gluten free, but that changed today! I couldn't find a gluten free recipe that I liked the looks of online, so I got out the recipe from my childhood and gave it the gluten free treatment. The results: tastes just like I remember! yay! :)

Whoopie Pies (gluten free, dairy free)

1/2 c. butter (or shortening)
1 c. sugar
2 egg yolks (save the whites!)
5 T cocoa powder
2 c. gluten free flour*
1/2 teas. xanthan gum or guar gum
1 teas. baking powder
1 teas. baking soda
1 teas. salt
1 c. milk (coconut milk) + 1 teas. vinegar
1 teas. vanilla

*3 parts brown rice flour, 2 parts starch (potato starch and tapioca starch).

In a bowl, combine dry ingredients, set aside. In a two cup measure combine milk, vinegar, and vanilla, set aside. In a seperate bowl (stand mixer works great) cream together butter (or shortening) and sugar. Add egg yolks. While mixer is running, alternately add dry ingredients and milk mixture. Mix until smooth.

Heat oven to 375. Drop by rounded tablespoonful onto parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Romove onto cooling rack. Let cool completely before filling.
Makes approximately 18 whoopie pies.

Filling:
1/2 c. butter (or shortening)
2 c. confection sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 teas. salt
1 teas. vanilla

Beat all ingredients in  mixer until light and fluffy. If filling seems too soft, put it in the refrigerator for a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment