Things were really busy during strawberry season here, so I didn't get out this year to pick any. And I was really disappointed. I love to go strawberry picking! BUT God is a faithful provider! A lady, whose brother works on a strawberry farm, gave us a bucket of strawberries! I hulled them and put them in the freezer with plans to make jam when I got the chance. Another one of our neighbors tells me every year to help myself to her rhubarb. So I also cleaned, chopped and froze that. It's been a couple of months, and my strawberries and rhubarb have been waiting patiently for me to make them into yummy jam, and I finally got the chance this week!
I LOVE using honey to make jam! It really lets the sweetness of the fruit come through. This strawberry-rhubarb jam has a wonderful sweet-tart flavor. It tastes like pie!
4 cups slightly crushed strawberries
2 cups chopped rhubarb
3 Tbsp. low or no sugar needed powdered pectin (1 box) I use Ball.
1 cup honey
1/2 teas butter (optional - helps reduce foaming)
- Add honey, and bring to a rolling boil again, skimming foam as necessary. (Add 1/2 teas butter to reduce foaming, if desired.) Boil for 3 minutes..
- Remove from heat, and ladle into hot canning jars.
- Place lids on jars.
- Put jars in a hot water bath. Bring to a boil and process for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Remove jars from hot water. Let them sit on the countertop until cooled down.
- Check that lids are sealed.
I have enough strawberries to make another batch of regular strawberry jam, and while I've got the pectin and jars out, I'll be making some grape jelly as well! I haven't yet made blueberry jam, but that's next on my list if I don't get tired of making jam! yum!