Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gluten Free Bread - it is possible!

A few weeks ago, I came across a new bread recipe at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free. I had a recipe that was working alright for me, but I decided to give this one a try. It looked simple enough, and Amy had labled it "Perfect Bread". It was totally amazing! SO much better than the recipe I had been using. It is soft, a little chewy, moist, it doesn't crumble at all! I love it, the kids love it, even hubby likes it! I'll post the recipe here how I usually mix it together,with my alterations to the original recipe in bold:

Perfect Gluten Free Bread
369 grams gluten free flour** (this works out to 2 3/4 cups for me)
2 1/4 teas xanthan gum
1 1/4 teas salt
1 T honey
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 teas yeast
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teas cider vinegar

** Amy has her own special flour blend that she uses. I don't use the garfava flour. My flour blend is 1 cup brown rice flour + 1 cup sorghum flour + 1/3 cup potato starch + 1/3 cup tapioca starch. When I make this bread, I use 2 cups of the brown rice flour blend, plus 3/4 cup millet flour.

Directions
-In a bowl, mix together the flour, xanthan gum, and salt. Set aside.
-In another small bowl, combine warm water and honey. Add yeast. Let it proof for 5-10 min.
-In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, oil, and vinegar. Add the proofed yeast. Mix in the dry ingredients. Stir well until it is smooth. The dough will be very sticky. It is not going to look like wheat bread dough - don't worry!
-Pour the dough into a greased 9x5" loaf pan. Smooth the top.


- Let it rise in a warm place for an hour.
-Preheat your oven to 375.
-Bake for 45 min until deep golden brown. Slide it onto a cooling rack, laying it on the side.


-If you just can't wait for a warm slice of homemade bread, go ahead and get yourself a piece! :) Make a sandwich! Spread it with homemade jelly! Toast it up for garlic bread! French toast for breakfast! The options are endless!

 Don't forget to check out more of Amy's Recipes at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free! I have never been disappointed with any of her recipes! She also has a new cookbook out, which I have got to get myself a copy of... Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely blog! I'm another young wife, mommy, homemaker and we are JUST starting our GF journey! My husband is suspicious that he has a gluten sensitivity. I appreciated reading your story. I too was bummed at first about having to start experimenting with GF, but I've actually become excited about it over the last week or so!

    This bread looks wonderful! I think it will be the first GF bread recipe I try! Your blog has already been an encouragement... and I just found it 30 minutes ago! Thank you!

    May the Lord Jesus bless you these final weeks of your pregnancy!

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gracie! Starting GF is definitely an adventure, challenges included! BUt it is worth it! There is so much info and great resources out there. Keep trying new things, don't give up, and you'll soon find your stride! :)

    ReplyDelete