Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mock Almond Joy

Meet Mr. Medjool Date
I haven't been doing much baking lately, if you hadn't noticed the lack of recipes... no, I'm not ill. :) Tonight I really wanted to make a snack, but I really didn't want to spend time measuring, mixing, and turning on the oven (so labor intensive! ha!) I picked up some medjool dates at the grocery store today,  with plans to try a new brownie recipe. But, I would have had to measure, mix, and turn on the oven... oy.

SO, I searched the internet for something simple. It took some searching, but I found this recipe, which had minimal measuring, it is mixed in a food processor, and I didn't have to turn on the oven!

The recipe is called Fudge Brownies, but it's really nothing like a brownie. More like a chewy bar. They are absolutely scrumptious and taste like an Almond Joy candy bar! No kidding! Here's the original recipe, with my substitutions in bold.

Mock Almond Joy Bars (gluten and dairy free)
2 c. shredded coconut (I used 1 c finely ground almonds, and 1 c dried unsweetened coconut, shredded)
2 Medjool dates, pitted (I used 3)
3 Tbl honey
1 Tbl carob powder (I used cocoa powder)
1 tsp vanilla
(I added just a pinch of salt)

Throw it all in the food processor and blend! Add more honey if mixture doesn't stick together easily. Place a piece of plastic wrap in a 9x5" loaf pan, let the excess hang over the sides. Press the mixture evenly in the pan. Fold over excess plastic onto bars, and press. Chill in the refrigerator until firm. (I stuck mine in the freezer) Cut into squares as small or large as you like!

I hope you try these! They go together super quick, and really are guilt-free! Just don't eat the whole pan in one sitting.... Mine are sitting in the freezer, so I can take out one at a time... or three.... I cut mine pretty small. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment