Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Personal Reflections and a Book Review

About a month ago, I was feeling so very overwhelmed. Overwhelmed with responsibilities, kids, things 'to do'. Life. I had to stop. So I did.

I cried out to God, expressing my frustrations and helplessness to continue on. I could not do any more. And that was the problem. Doing. Too much. I had brought it on myself. Projects, things I had to do, things I wanted to do, clean up, cook this, someone needs that, wash this, clean this again..

I stopped. Took a step back. Time for re-evaluation. What was absolutely necessary? What did the Bible say?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." ~ Matthew 6:33

There is only one thing that we need to do. Seek the Lord. When we give Him our time, commit our ways to Him, He will establish our steps. One. at. a. time.

I was getting ready for bed one night, and I remembered this book. I had picked it up at a garage sale about four years ago. I thought it would be a good read. It was exactly what I needed.

In Seasons of a Woman's Life, Lois Evans (yes, Tony Evan's wife) uses the book of Esther to demonstrate how God works in different seasons of our life. Each season prepares us for the next.

God is always working. And everyone's life journey is different. But at some point we all go through the seasons of life. Seed-planting, growth, and harvest.

In the season of seed-planting, we respond to God's call with our commitment to Him. This is the building of our personal relationship with Him.

During the season of growth, He teaches us obedience, the importance of service. This is the time of preparation. Preparation for His perfect plan for our lives. We might not always understand the things He does. It's more than likely not going to be easy. But we can rest assured that He is always in control and has our good in mind.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end."  ~ Jeremiah 29:11

Finally, we get to experience the season of harvest. All the time of preparation is come to fruition. We learn contentment. We learn to be obedient to God's direction in our lives, even if it means stepping out of our comfort zone. And we get to see God's blessings as His plan for our life unfolds.

It is comforting to know that nothing surprises God. He's got it all figured out. It's not my job to worry about tomorrow. It's all about today's priorities. If I do nothing else today, what must be done so that I am fulfilling God's call on my life? For me right now, it's being a godly wife for my husband, being a godly example and teacher for my kids, and taking care of my home. Everything else can wait. There will be time later for things I want to do. But if I don't have my priorities in order right now, life will always seem chaotic, and I will miss out on the Lord's blessings.

Although I look with anticiaption towards the future, what the Lord's plans may be for my life, it is not for me to know. So, I will enjoy each and every day. I will try to see God's blessings and be thankful, even in the ugly stuff. Because God is always good. 

Today, I choose to let Him direct my steps. One at a time, every minute of every hour. Because life changes so fast. I'm glad to let Him be in control.

"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." ~ John 15:5

In whatever season of life you may be in, I encourage you to read this book. You will be encouraged and challenged as you learn how the Lord is working in your life, and how to respond with gratitude and contentment.

(I was not asked or paid to write this..)

1 comment: