Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Pudding du Chocolat

I love pudding. Rich, creamy, chocolate pudding. My mom used to make us pudding as an after school snack.

But right now I am trying to avoid sugar. White, processed, refined sugar. I spent a couple of weeks overindulging in the stuff, and my body finally had enough. I felt like ... crap. No more sugar.

I love making recipes healthier, and once you know the basic healthier substitutes, it's really easy to figure out. There are natural sweeteners. I'm not talking about chemically altered, 0 calorie, tastes like real sugar, sweeteners. I mean God given, natural sweeteners. Honey and real maple syrup are what I use the most. And if you can get local honey that's great! (more on honey in another post..) I love it.

So, without further ado:


Chocolate Pudding (gluten free/dairy free)
1/4 cup cocoa
3 T cornstarch (non GMO)
1/4 teas salt
1/2-2/3 cup honey
2 1/4 cup milk (coconut or almond milk)
2 T butter (clarified or coconut oil)
1 teas vanilla

Combine cocoa cornstarch and salt in medium saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Add honey. If you choose to use the lesser amount of honey it will be dark chocolate pudding! Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until it starts to bubble and is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.

Pour into serving bowls. Press plastic wrap onto top of pudding (unless you like the skin on top). Chill. Makes about 4 servings, 1/2 cup each.
You could also use this as a pie filling.

Print Recipe | Printable grocery list

I'm linking this up to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday's at Simply Sugar and Gluten Free. Check it out for more awesome recipes made a little bit healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment