Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sew Frustrating

          So, a little bit about me: I absolutely love to cook and bake. I love to knit, I only just learned a year ago, and have been addicted ever since! I also like to sew. Notice I didn't say love - because sewing involves technology (the machine) and I do not have good luck when it comes to technical difficulties. I never have an uneventful sewing session. Sewing can cause lots of frustration for me, but I really do like to make things that way.
          Yesterday, I did not have many responsibilities for my housekeeping routine, so I thought it would be fun to make a couple little pillows with the girls. Something simple and straightforward, low stress.
Everything was going great, I was showing them how to measure and cut the squares. Julianna's pillow is a Raggedy-Ann print, with a quilted red backing. The squares were easy enough to cut out. Moving on to Emma's pillow, I was going to use some Precious Moments fabric, and I have a ton of it. I laid it out and thought, "This would make a really great pillowcase!" I found a super simple video tutorial , got the measurements written down, and preceeded to measure the fabric. Well, I was overtired to begin with. Something went screwy in my brain and I could not process what I was measuring, if it was in the right direction or if I had the width right. I got frustrated, and put everything away. The girls had fun anyway playing with the fabric scraps and pretending to measure. Emma likes to cut the scraps into even smaller pieces...
          Today, I waited until the youngest two were down for a nap, then Emma and I got out the sewing machine and fabric. I had a plan today, so I was in a better frame of mind to attempt the pillow case. I got the other two pieces of material cut, everything was going in the right direction (yay!). I sat down at the machine (cue the technical difficulties!) Aside from my thread breaking every few inches, I got it sewed. It came out so cute! Emma absolutely loves it! And it really didn't even take that long (including the technical mishaps). Maybe I'll make another one for Julianna... next week....

The bottom two just need stuffing.

A close up of the pillow Emma made (she colored the picture) at our ladies' sewing group the other day. She is very crafty. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment